[Organizers] outdoor dances in parks?

Terri Widergren twidgal at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 15:34:58 PDT 2019

We have been fortunate to have an amazing Parks and Rec department in The
City of Pasco, 9n the cities here in the Tri-Cities, WA.  They co-sponsor
our summer dance series by providing the venue (a pavillion with concrete
slab) at no charge, tables, chairs, coolers with water, advertising in
their Summer Parks & Rec guide and a 10x10 canopy where we set up info
about upcoming regional dances, donation jars and a sign up sheet for folks
to put their name and email address for our distribution list of future
dances around our region.  Last year was our first year and they sponsored
2 dances, May and June, this year they're sponsoring 4, May-Aug.  Our hope
is to break even by donations for band and caller.

I appreciate the feedback to have the caller adapt to surface, we will
encourage them to do that.  Our dances begin at 6pm with 30 minute beginner
lesson and end at 9.

Attendance last year was so-so.  We are hoping with the free Beginner's
Dance workshop we held at one of our Public Libraries this past weekend,
word is spreading about contra dance in our community.

Working on getting into our local Community college and University
satellite campus to build interest with the younger generation to keep
contra vibrant in our community.  Anyone have any success with college
dance outreach?

Thanks!
Terri
Three River's Folklife Society