[Organizers] Ideas/resources on the benefits of contra (and generally trad social dance)

Emily Addison emilyladdison at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 08:33:56 PST 2018

Hi fellow shared weight organizers :)

I hope you're doing pretty well.  It's snowing here in Ottawa but the
red-wing blackbirds showed up in our yard this morning for the first time
so spring is pushing through!

I was wondering if any of you have resources that provide information on
benefits of contra dance (or trad social dance generally). This could be as
simple as your list of benefits, it could be newspaper articles, videos,
scientific studies... or other!

Why?  It's interesting generally I thought we might all enjoy as tools for
advocacy.  However, the question initially came up for me as I am working
on letter to our Finance Minister in Canada about some issues around
non-profit taxing ($50,000 income we have to charge tax.... ugh... it's
turned out to be quite difficult for our organizer which is all voolunteer
run and already cash strapped.)  Anyway --- would love to hear your
ideas!!! :) :) :)

I've also posted this question on the FB Organizers of contra dance group.
So if you're on both, you'll likely see it there too.

Thanks so much!
Emily Addison in Ottawa