[Organizers] Lower attendance this year?

Bill Frysinger bill at frysinger.com
Mon Feb 26 20:37:39 PST 2018

A belated follow-up to Chrissy's "subtle point": I don't agree that it is
subtle - I think the culture of a contra dance in a rural area is
fundamentally different than a "zesty modern urban" contra dance. We were
discussing this on the way home after the Flurry, and I truly value both.

I used to live in an area where I could get to both types of dances
(roughly halfway between Philly and Baltimore). I could get to one of the
weekly urban dances on a weeknight and then a community oriented dance on
the weekend. Now that I live halfway up the coast of Maine I don't get the
joy of the zesty urban dances I used to enjoy. I do still get the joy of
the community dances, and I am glad that the Belfast contra dance has
become such an important social setting for our many young attenders. The
strong sense of community is wonderful, but the fun dance experiences for
me are now the occasional festivals I can get to.

<bill at frysinger.com>
William T. Frysinger
339 Beech Hill Road
Northport, ME  04849