[Organizers] Looking for innovative door pricing models!

Emily Addison emilyladdison at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 08:09:51 PST 2018

Hi fellow Shared Weight members,

I'm back wearing my CDSS hat this morning with a question that overlaps
somewhat with the ideas that were shared last week.  (I expect that I will
be VERY quiet after this question given that there are so many ideas to
pull together.)

ANYWAY: HERE IS THE QUESTION.... ....

What door pricing model do you use for your events (i.e., what do you
charge participants)?  Does your group do something innovative/creative
that works well for your context?

There has been a lot of recent discussion on the use sliding scale. I'm
hoping to capture how this can be effectively implement. However, there are
also many other innovative ideas such as group/family pricing,
pay-it-forward, free dance after so many paid, etc....

If you have a model you'd like to share, please include a few ideas on why
you think the model works well. For instance:
--->Do you have effective signage explaining the pricing model? If so… what
does it look like?
--->What do the door volunteers say to make your pricing successful? (If
you have door volunteers)
---> How have you explained the pricing (e.g., on-mic announcements; email;
website) to your community? Do you connect it to your broader financial
goals?  If you are committed to being transparent about your organization’s
finances, how do you do that?
---?What/how do you communicate to first time attendees? (There's a lot to
taken in when you're brand new walking in the door!)

If you have ideas you think would benefit other dance, music, and/or song
communities, please either share them back onto the list or you can email
me directly (Emily at cdss.org).  (If you share on the list, they have the
potential to help others immediately.)   It may take me a few days but I'll
definitely  follow up  with you.  Then, once I have a completed draft of
the resource, I will circulate it among all contributors before it is
finalized and made public.

With thanks!
Emily
PS -> I will also be posting this question on the ECD and Pourparler lists
to gather ideas from organizers involved in other traditions. Apologies if
you see the message more than once.