[Organizers] mini-beginner contra courses - ideas? (Emily Addison)

Claire Takemori cht at mac.com
Sat Apr 21 11:46:44 PDT 2018

Hi Emily!

I like the idea and think it maybe helpful to some despite the Cons listed.

One thing I am working on at South Bay Contra in the SF Bay Area, is to have a quarterly workshop called “Next Steps”.  This happened once so far (the next quarter had a weekend workshop called "Contra College” that is about 30 min away from South Bay and has about 15 newer dancers with some “angels”).  I’m hoping to have another for summer and fall.

The idea came from Jean Gorrindo in San Luis Obispo CA, who runs a quarterly free workshop followed by pizza then the usual contra dance.  She feels it is helping some of the newer dancers.

Our session luckily had one to one “angels” helping with newer dancers, with about 20 total.   I had a very experienced caller teach the workshop for 80 min before the usual dance, followed by ice cream and snacks.   I had a separate band (new young musicians who are eager to play) as the usual band didn’t want to extend the gig to 5 hours.   We used a large classroom downstairs of the hall, as it was affordable and available earlier than the main hall.   We got the support from our BACDS to pay the band, caller and rent.  The snacks were donated.

I got only positive feedback from the dancers.  I had really great angels (who know how to help silently and model listening to the caller, and dance both roles).
The downside was that I offered the workshop for donations to get more attendance (though some would argue that paying for something makes it more valuable to some) and only got $20 from one person.

The other thing I would check on is “creepy behavior” in your community.  A lot of folks feel they don’t have it, but if you ask some younger dancers you might find that they are uncomfortable with a few dancers’ behaviors.  Some of the offenders in our community swing just fine with other experienced dancers, but when they get a young new dancer, they hold too close and are too flirty for a stranger (both lacking consent).   I’ve only discovered this by watching known offenders. Then when I see a new dancer looking uncomfortable, I ask them after the dance, and almost always I’ve gotten a reply like “that was horrible and I’m never dancing with him again”.   We only just got our code of conduct re-written and lost our Safety committee board rep and our board President, so we’ve got a few folks to address in the community still.   I’m not sure, but feel this might have a big impact on having new dancers return.

Regards,
Claire Takemori
Dance Caller & Organizer
Campbell CA