[Organizers] mini-beginner contra courses - ideas?

Simon Chambers simonchambers2 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 10:58:59 PDT 2018

I think this sounds like a great idea, Emily!  The only thing I'd think
about is the community talent night being focused on beginners.  I find
that experienced contra callers and bands are often better for beginners
because callers who've been doing this for a while are usually good at
seeing when the call needs to be supporting new dancers, etc.  Similarly,
experienced bands I often find it easier to find the count of the music-
sometimes when I'm hearing musicians who are not used to playing for
contra, it can be difficult to find the 1 in their phrasing...

In Toronto, for a year we did a monthly "free" dance for new callers to
practice.  The dancers were virtually all experienced, so they could give
feedback to the new callers as they practiced... I do wonder if we should
have had a few more fairly new dancers at those dances, since experienced
dancers can deal with wobbles in the call...  :)

Best,
Simon
Toronto Contra Dance