[Organizers] what to do about a dancer with dementia

Heitzso heitzso at growthmodels.com
Tue Oct 24 09:42:18 PDT 2017

I remember when, in my late 30s, all of us said we'd dance until we died,
even if it meant dancing in walkers. Of course we didn't have a clue
what that meant.
This was back in the '80s when the Atlanta dance was a fairly focused
age cohort:
vast majority of dancers between 30-45. That age cohort is now in their
60s and 70s.
Many have stopped dancing regularly.

I both appreciate "community" while at the same time acknowledge age issues
which affect dances.

A nearby dance, Sautee, has a twice a month Tuesday evening contra dance
that's
intended as a beginner's dance but, when I've gone, seems more an elder
beginner
(50 and 60 year old beginners) or elder-elder dance.
I believe that is the perfect spin off ...
     a dance that is slower paced and easier to dance (simpler sequences).

I believe this issue (aging in general) is affecting our dances
and will just get more prominent and that a pro-active solution
is best.

Heitzso