[Organizers] what to do about a dancer with dementia

Dale Wilson dale.wilson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 06:36:57 PDT 2017

Do they dance together?   Is it possible to pair each of them with partners
who are aware of the problem and can minimize the chaos?

Dale

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 6:36 AM, Katy Heine via Organizers <
organizers at lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:

> For the last three years, one of our older dancers has been declining with
> dementia--and her husband, not a good dancer himself, continues to bring
> her to our dances. Invariably, they create chaos on the dance floor.
>
> Most people on the board of my dance organization feel it's important to
> continue to include these dancers until such time that the husband decides
> it's time for them to stop coming. On the other hand, I'm concerned with
> the effect that they're having on other dancers. I've heard at least one
> dancer say that she considered not coming to a dance when she saw that this
> couple was there--and certainly this couple's presence is diminishing the
> dance experience of many of the dancers who've come to our events for the
> high level of dancing that we were able to deliver in the past.
>
> Has anyone else wrestled with this sort of problem? If yes, what did you
> do (or not do) about it?
>
> Thanks,
> Katy Heine

There are only two hard things in computer science: cache invalidation,
naming things, and off-by-one errors.