[Organizers] What to do with a really bad new dancer?

Paul Pindris via Organizers organizers at lists.sharedweight.net
Mon Mar 6 18:31:29 PST 2017

I am quite astonished -- actually, troubled -- that anyone would have the
insensitivity to refer to another dancer as a "speed bump." I am proud to
relate that I have yet to see any physically challenged dancer at the
several monthly contra dances in my area of southern New Hampshire be
anything less than totally accepted as part of our community. Whether
dancers have had difficulty because of a medical condition, the
after-effects of a car accident, or simply the problem of "two left feet,"
they have in every case that I am aware of been made to feel as comfortable
as possible. The adage I share with every new dancer I cross paths with is
that contra dancers are three things -- welcoming, helpful, and forgiving.
In New Hampshire that applies to everyone, and I have yet to encounter any
exceptions.

Paul Pindris
Deerfield, NH