[Organizers] Leading Contra Dances in non-english-speaking countries

Marie-Michèle Fournier via Organizers organizers at lists.sharedweight.net
Fri Mar 3 10:26:14 PST 2017

Here in Montreal, Canada people are fairly bilingual so we used to just do
everything in English, but we've recently changed to be more inclusive.
When we start the intro class, we ask in English if anyone doesn't
understand French and in French if anyone doesn't understand English. If
necessary we do the whole class in both languages but in general we are
able to do it exclusively in English.
This is during our caller's collective evening, so what happens is that
most callers do their whole thing in English while I do mine in French. I
translated as many calls as I could when a straight-forward term existed in
French but kept some, like hey or right&left thru in their original form
since no easy translation existed. I do all my explanations in the walk
through in French and use the same terms I will call with later on. I rely
on demos when I need to since we have several bilingual experienced dancers
around. This is a new thing, I only started explaining and calling in
French in September so I'm still working on the kinks, but it seems to be
working well so far.
Don't know how much of this is applicable to your situation, but I'm happy
to talk about our experiences here!
Marie
ContraMontreal