[Organizers] Organizers meeting at Flurry.

Dana Dwinell-Yardley via Organizers organizers at lists.sharedweight.net
Mon Feb 20 14:09:02 PST 2017

Hi friends,

I missed this session at Flurry, but my co-organizer, Alice Smolinsky, was
telling me about it! We run the Montpelier Contra Exchange dance (
www.contraexchange.org) together, along with four other folks.

We are the series that does half contra, half featured dance. We do contra
for the first half, and it's a long half: 8–9:45. Then we have a short
workshop on the featured dance from 9:45 to 10. Then we take a break, and
come back for 45 minutes of the featured dance (swing, Cajun, waltz, etc)
from 10:15 to 11.

We also do the organizer-led skits on various aspects of being a better
dancer: asking your partner if they prefer twirls, listening to the caller
and not chatting, being a "dance ambassador" and looking out for the
benefit of the whole hall, etc. We believe that it's powerful when teaching
moments come from the "laypeople" — dancers/organizers — not just the
caller.

Let us know if you have more questions about our unusual but super friendly
little dance!

Dana

Dana Dwinell-Yardley
graphic design & layout