[Organizers] Volunteers

Dugan Murphy via Organizers organizers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sat Feb 11 08:23:50 PST 2017

Hi, David,

I run a weekly (49 dances per year minus weather cancellations) Thursday
night contra series in Portland, Maine.  We started in June and we've had
about 70-100 dancers each week since then.

Our in-dance volunteer structure is largely based on Will Loving's
structure for the weekly contra series in Amherst, Massachusetts.  We have
five volunteer positions at each dance: setup/breakdown (shows up an hour
before the beginner lesson and stays 30 minutes after the last waltz to
arrange and breakdown signage, tables, fans, sound baffling blankets, etc),
3 greeters for the door (one hour each), and one dance manager (makes sure
the performers and all the other volunteers have what they need, counts the
money, pays the band, etc).  Each of these volunteers is offered free
admission in exchange for their service.

Because so much of the value that our in-dance volunteers bring is that we
can rely on them showing up, they are only offered free admission if they
sign up ahead of the dance.  Some dancers help out anyway, which is a
bonus.  We tell those dancers that if they want to get in free next time,
they can get in touch about a volunteer slot.

We keep track of dancers who offer to volunteer so we can make these
arrangements.  When new people express interest, we add them to the list.

Our dancers have have expressed appreciation for the training documents we
offer them in advance of their service so it is very clear what they are
and are not responsible for.  These documents are also largely based on
similar materials used in Amherst.

Here's our guide for greeters:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CkWK5swVLJejYfUdcDwMeJHUzjKCdYPtD4YB5cSxtv0/edit?usp=sharing

Here's our nightly checklist, which includes actions by setup/breakdown
volunteer, dance manager, and greeters:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1m1HNwV2pzx0n6qqoueuD4KQlhXYSVVneez538_H0mhw/edit?usp=sharing

As our series matures, I am finding it easier to recruit volunteers at the
same time that it is becoming more common that dancers help out without
being asked.  Though it is becoming more common that dancers show up early
and stay late to help without being asked and though it is becoming easier
to recruit a greeter on the fly when someone doesn't show up, I really
appreciate having volunteers for each evening worked out in advance.

I'm thinking about your concern, David, of removing the financial incentive
to volunteer by changing to a pay-what-you-can system.  Keep in mind that
financial incentive likely is not the motivation for dancers to volunteer.
Most of them likely also carry some degree of responsibility to help the
series prosper.  Many also likely appreciate the opportunity for extra
socializing.  Those benefits of volunteerism won't go away with a
pay-what-you-can system.

Dugan Murphy
Portland, Maine

dugan at duganmurphy.com