[Organizers] By-Donation

Greg Allan via Organizers organizers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Apr 4 08:42:36 PDT 2017

Hey Folks,

About two months ago, I had mentioned that by-donation models, in my
personal opinion, would be great for folk dancing groups and mentioned one
dance I was organizing in March would be by-donation. A few asked to know
how it turned out.

Well, it happened on the weekend, to great success. The number of attendees
was extremely low, for a variety of reasons unrelated to the price of the
dance. After all, I hardly think a lower price was going to turn people
away! However, many of my musician friends showed up, put on a great set, I
introduced a young fiddler to the stage who performed well, and everyone
had a blast.

Regarding the cost, I believe everyone averaged a donation of 15 dollars -
more money than I had charged for any other contra dance I organized in
Winnipeg previously. My math could be off. However, a conservative estimate
of an average 10 dollar donation is still quite encouraging and promising,
in my opinion. Apologies for inaccurate calculations, but since it was
by-donation, I didn't mark anything down when people dropped money in the
jar.

Hope to see more of this in the future! Thank you for your interest.

Greg