[Organizers] building contra dance

Paul Pindris via Organizers organizers at lists.sharedweight.net
Mon May 16 06:10:38 PDT 2016

Claire, I have attached a brochure I put together for the contra dance in
Deerfield, NH, for which I took on the responsibility of chief organizer
this season. I am proud to say that this dance has doubled its attendance
since last season, from what had been an average of 35 dancers, to now
consistently drawing 70. I attribute our success to linking our monthly
dances to meetup groups -- online groups, typically of single people,
looking for events of all kinds where they can be active and meet others.
The one issue I had with these particular newcomers was that they were
unfamiliar with contra dance culture, so that there were some minor
instances of bothersome behavior which indicated a need for providing basic
information. I did a bit of investigation online about what other dances
around the country had in place to address similar concerns, and I also
polled my experienced dancers about what they considered important to
include. The end result of my efforts may be a helpful starting point for
you in what you are hoping to accomplish -- 2 pages, printed back-to-back
then folded into thirds, which makes for a compact brochure.

Best wishes with your work!

Paul Pindris