[Organizers] University contra clubs

Marie-Michèle Fournier via Organizers organizers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Jun 21 05:38:48 PDT 2016

Thanks Brian, this is very informative!
Unfortunately I had a nasty surprise when I looked up how to create a club
at McGill only to discover they currently do not allow new clubs because
they have too many. I will have to rethink the idea. I didn't see any
traditional music club in their listing, which is unfortunate as they may
have been a good option for a partnership, but I will go through them all
again to see if I can find an existing club that we might convince to work
with us.
Thank you everyone
Marie

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 2:28 AM, Brian Gallagher via Organizers <
organizers at lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:

> [...]
> really worth all of the effort.  Usually it all rides on how much effort (&
> time) the individual student is willing to put into the project- with
> balancing it with their classes, part time job, sweeties...etc.
>
> Brian
>

> On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 11:42 PM Mary Anne Eason via Organizers <
> organizers at lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:
>
>> The University of Maine in Orono has a Traditional Music and Dance Club
>> dance which promotes contra as well as other kinds of dance (though
>> essentially now I don't think it does anything but contra). In the past
>> they hosted a few small contras on campus (in dorms, the dining hall or a
>> large hallway somewhere where there was exposure to other students).
>> Recently they have gotten funds from the student government which covers
>> the entrance fee for students to the local dance each month in Orono plus
>> free pizza! The contact person is Anthony Viselli,
>> anthony.viselli at maine.edu, who also heads up the band that plays at that
>> contra.
>>
>> Mary Anne
>>
>> On 6/20/2016 1:56 PM, Erik Erhardt via Organizers wrote:
>>
>> Hi Marie,
>>
>> A little history for our group, then a suggestion that we plan to follow
>> this coming year:
>>
>> At the University of New Mexico (unmcontra.org) FolkMADS (our local folk
>> dance org, folkmads.org) put on 8 dances in year Aug 2014 - May 2015,
>> then we formed a student organization and put on 8 dances, the last 4 with
>> a student band Aug 2015 - May 2016.  We've had low attendance (10-30
>> dancers, about half students), but with returning regular dancers.  We've
>> put in a lot of energy without much growth, though the student band (
>> http://www.clarabyom.com/rusty-tap.html) was a very positive outcome.
>>
>> This coming year we plan to *partner with other large student
>> organizations and put on joint events*.  This will help guarantee larger
>> dances, will help with advertising, and will get people who already know
>> each other to dance together.  I think this will increase the appeal of the
>> dance.
>> We can also do more if we leverage ways to use student organization funds.
>>
>> Good luck!
>> Erik Erhardt
>> (505)480-4462  StatAcumen.com
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 11:34 AM, Marie-Michèle Fournier <
>> <organizers at lists.sharedweight.net>organizers at lists.sharedweight.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello everyone!
>>>      I have recruited some of our younger dancers to start a contra club
>>> at their university to help us bring in more people to our dances in an
>>> effort to be sustainable. However, none of us are quite certain what's the
>>> best way to proceed with this and what exactly to do with this club. Any of
>>> you out there have associated university or college clubs? Could you put me
>>> in contact with the people in charge so we can use their ideas and
>>> Marie