[Organizers] University contra clubs

William M Loving via Organizers organizers at lists.sharedweight.net
Mon Jun 20 16:38:24 PDT 2016

Hi Marie,

The Downtown Amherst (Massachusetts) Contra Dance series has worked closely with the Hampshire College Contra Dance Collective since our series inception six years ago. The Collective is a registered student organization (so essentially a club) and can apply for funding for events. The dances are free to Hampshire students but also open to the public with a suggested donation which helped with their funding.

Prior to my working with them they would have one or two dances a year at irregular intervals. Since our Wednesday night series (3 miles away from campus on the busline) is unable to use our regular venue on 2nd Wednesdays, I encouraged them to hold their dances on 2nd Wednesday to sync with our schedule. I also provided support in terms of how to book and pay performers, referring touring performers to them that I couldn’t accommodate in our series, and doing cross-promotion. For the last several years they have run seven dances a year, 4 in the fall and 3 in spring.

My point in saying all this is to encourage you to partner and work with dance organizers and existing dances in your area. You’ll get: 1) the benefit of their experience and expertise; 2) cross-promotion for events; 3) experienced dancers from the community that will help teach new folks; 4) additional income from community dancer admission/donations; 5) a bit of continuity for the student organizers on campus as they graduate (as in I regularly check in in the spring to say, “who’s doing booking for next year and do you have all your dates planned and room/hall reservations?” before the summer comes and everyone disappears.

Also, university public relations and alumni offices are often very enthusiastic about such “town and gown” ventures are they are called here in the states, meaning joint efforts that bring students into the local community and local community folks on campus.

Hope that helps!

Will

On Jun 20, 2016, at 1:34 PM, Marie-Michèle Fournier via Organizers <organizers at lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>      I have recruited some of our younger dancers to start a contra club at their university to help us bring in more people to our dances in an effort to be sustainable. However, none of us are quite certain what's the best way to proceed with this and what exactly to do with this club. Any of you out there have associated university or college clubs? Could you put me in contact with the people in charge so we can use their ideas and experience with this?
> Thanks!
> Marie
> ContraMontreal

Will Loving