[Organizers] University contra clubs

Erik Erhardt via Organizers organizers at lists.sharedweight.net
Mon Jun 20 10:56:31 PDT 2016

Hi Marie,

A little history for our group, then a suggestion that we plan to follow
this coming year:

At the University of New Mexico (unmcontra.org) FolkMADS (our local folk
dance org, folkmads.org) put on 8 dances in year Aug 2014 - May 2015, then
we formed a student organization and put on 8 dances, the last 4 with a
student band Aug 2015 - May 2016.  We've had low attendance (10-30 dancers,
about half students), but with returning regular dancers.  We've put in a
lot of energy without much growth, though the student band (
http://www.clarabyom.com/rusty-tap.html) was a very positive outcome.

This coming year we plan to *partner with other large student organizations
and put on joint events*.  This will help guarantee larger dances, will
help with advertising, and will get people who already know each other to
dance together.  I think this will increase the appeal of the dance.
We can also do more if we leverage ways to use student organization funds.

Good luck!
Erik Erhardt
(505)480-4462  StatAcumen.com