[Organizers] ASCAP and BMI

Jeff Raymond via Organizers organizers at lists.sharedweight.net
Thu Jun 16 19:01:15 PDT 2016

As I understand it various agents who work for a commission send out
letters dunning folks for ASCAP fees. This is quasi legal black mail as
mentioned by previous respondents many Contradance tune authors have never
seen an ASCAP check.
One can compose a letter that state all material played is copywriter free
traditional tunes are played with express permission from the copywriter
holder.
This of course is a premise, I imagine that someone somewhere holds a copy
write on a version of Old Joe Clark.
Various dance troupe I've been associated with have found ways to deflect
the leaches from sending letters to ignoring them.
If you can imagine how much money they have accrued through this extortion
it would be tough to fight them if you were a business but if you are a
501(c)3 educational organization you have a chance to ignore them.
If you gain insights please share them!
Jeff Raymond