[Organizers] guarantee/profit sharing?

Jack Mitchell via Organizers organizers at lists.sharedweight.net
Thu Jun 9 18:10:47 PDT 2016

As a caller who travels a bit to call, not always traveling with a band,
pay schedules which reduce the caller's payout based on how big the band
the caller is booked to work with are somewhat frustrating. If I go into it
knowing that I'm traveling with a 4 or 5 person band, I know that is going
to affect the pay on some dances. But when I'm traveling on my own and the
pay is a share of a pot for all performers, and I've been booked with the
band with 6 local musicians and that pot is divided 7 ways, it can
be...disheartening (and also hard on the wallet if I'm trying to break even
on the trip).

Our local dance group works on something similar to the NEFFA model that
you mention -- we know that we will lose money on some dances, and budget
for that. We are able to pay $165 minimum for up to a 4 person band and a
caller. We also share any profits from that particular dance with the band
and caller. A smaller dance that I was involved with for a while paid out
shares of the door. (Of 5 shares), one share to the caller, 3 shares to the
band, 1 share to the house (they have since changed that to offer a
guarantee).

Jack