[Organizers] Lower attendance this year?

Paul Pindris via Organizers organizers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Dec 6 07:18:49 PST 2016

There has been a new dance in Portland, Maine that started up earlier this
year, which to its credit has been highly successful. It is a weekly
mid-week dance that is not in direct competition with most NH dances, which
are typically held monthly on weekends. However, I have had more than one
person tell me that they are so enthused about this new dance (and
apparently they are able to fulfill their dancing needs by its every-week
scheduling) that they are no longer keen to get out to the smaller, more
local dances. I liken this to the effect of a Super Walmart shutting out
local businesses. Not sure if anything can be done about that.

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 10:02 AM, Mary Collins <nativedae at gmail.com> wrote:

> Buffalo attendance has been down as well, however the last dance was up a
> bit.  Many of our long-time good dancers are not coming.  A suggestion has
> been made that the board contact them individually to discuss their MIA
> status, we have not made a decision as how to approach this as yet.
>
> I do know that in some cases there are "opposing" great events on our
> dance nights and we loose our out-of-towners (those that travel to our
> dance) to those.  There have been some family illnesses, travel etc. that
> have effected us as well.
>
> One question that has come up among organizers and I wonder if others have
> had similar thoughts...is a particular band or caller keeping folks away?
> thoughts?
>
> Mary Collins, QCCD.org
>
> “Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass ... it's about learning
> to dance in the rain!” ~ Unknown
>
> On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 8:25 AM, Paul Pindris via Organizers <
> organizers at lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:
>
>> This is astonishing information, as attendance at my dance in Deerfield,
>> NH is down as much as 50% from its peak last season. The reason or reasons
>> are unclear. If the poor attendance continues it potentially jeopardizes
>> the long-term viability of this decades-old event.
>>
>> Paul Pindris
>> Deerfield, NH
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 8:17 AM, Marie-Michèle Fournier via Organizers <
>> organizers at lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>     Both Montreal and Ottawa have seen lower attendance this fall and we
>>> got word that it's similar in Brooklyn. Are any other local dances seeing
>>> this too? Any idea what might be causing this? Since it happens to both
>>> Canadian and American cities I doubt it's the political climate.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Marie