[Organizers] non-clique members - April 26

Claire Schaffer via Organizers organizers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Apr 26 20:47:27 PDT 2016

I also don’t see what the problem is.  If the person who wants to be Treasurer is qualified and gets along with others, why not let them apply.

CDNY’s bylaws call for the Treasurer to be elected by the membership at the annual meeting along with other elected officers (President, Secretary, Bursar) and elected members-at-large whose terms are expiring. The Board also consists of committee chairs who are appointed by the President for a two-year term.

The slate of nominees is prepared by a nominating committee that is appointed by the President.  As President, I choose a group of three or four people who complement each other in terms of age and experience, who are a mix of board members and non-board members, and who know the people in our dance community.  This is my second year as President, and I picked  different people for the nominating committee than I did last year, to bring in fresh perspectives.  This nominating system has worked well for us over the years.  Theoretically, someone could put themself forward for election to the Board, but I don’t believe that has ever happened.