[Organizers] Non-clique members in sensitive board positions.

Claire Baffaut via Organizers organizers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Apr 26 16:00:33 PDT 2016

Joe,

Unless I am missing something, your situation is not something to avoid. It
is something to be grateful for. You must be doing something right to have
people volunteer for this position without twisting any arm. The treasurer
position is very important, yet it requires diligence and understanding of
what is required. The work is behind the scene and has few rewards.

I have heard (and seen) of more organizations going under because of books
being cooked than I ever thought was possible. It happens more often than
we would want too, sometimes because the person is in denial of what the
numbers are saying, sometimes because the situation is too tempting to
resist.

The best prevention is to have several pairs of eyes on the books and have
frequent changes of treasurers so that no one is too comfortable. It seems
that you are in an ideal situation for either one of those. You could ask
that person to review the books, or you could ask her to take over the
position, or you could ask her to shadow the current treasurer and learn
the ways it is done in your organization before she moves into the
position. What I am saying is that there are many ways for you to use the
talent in a way that benefits your organization, in the short and long run.

Claire (Columbia, MO)

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 5:45 PM, David Kirchner via Organizers <
organizers at lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:

> I guess I don't see the problem here. Someone wants to volunteer to help
> the organization. Yay!
>
> So the person hasn't danced much. So what? There are other people who do
> dance on the board, right? It's not like this person is going to initiate
> something that would hurt the dance and manage to carry the day against a
> bunch of dancing board members who would know better.
>
> If the problem is that this person would be bad for the board for other
> reasons (unrelated to the lack of dance experience), then you should
> address that the same way you would address it if a regular dancer who
> wouldn't be a good choice asked to join the board.
>
> David
>
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 5:20 PM, Jeff Raymond via Organizers <
> organizers at lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:
>
>> It is amazing how helpful new converts I mean dancers are and to ignore
>> qualified personnel because they are not yet fully vetted could mean
>> missing out on some good talent.
>> Qualifications and references are in order.
>> IMHO
>> Be well, Jeff
>> On Apr 26, 2016 5:16 PM, "via Organizers" <
>> organizers at lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:
>>
>>> The situation is unclear to me. Is this person unqualified in some way?
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

>>> help the organization.

>>> "has served with other groups as funds manager/ treasurer type positions".
>>> Using her talents, she has volunteered to lend them to the organization as
>>> Treasurer.

>>> this can't happen, (2) we need to mentor new people into leadership, (3) we
>>> need to just vote at the general election and see what happens.

>>> ask you organizers: what would your club do/what does your club do to
>>> contend with or avoid situations such as this?

*Claire*