[Organizers] Fwd: Problem with nondancing attender

Lisa Sieverts via Organizers organizers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Oct 20 17:16:52 PDT 2015

My first reaction is that he's there because of the good energy and
community feeling that your dance has created. There's so little of this
out in the world and many are hungry for it.

Is there a way to involve him? Give him some sort of small job? I'm sure
that seems counterintuitive.

Does he seem actually dangerous, or just different? If you perceive that he
is a threat to himself or others, then you do need to get authorities
involved. Our local police officer has been great about occasionally
meeting with an individual and helping that person to sort out his/her
priorities.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Lisa

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 11:59 AM, David Kirchner via Organizers <
organizers at lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We are struggling with the best approach to deal with a community member
> who attends many of our dance events but does not dance (or pay). This
> person appears to have some mental illness challenges. He frequently has a
> small child with him. He has occasionally been disruptive in a minor way
> (or the child has been), and he has been escorted out a couple of times for
> that reason. He often simply hangs out in the building while the dance is
> going on, often in nondancing space. He is not easy to talk with. Reactions
> on how to deal with this person have varied across the different dance
> communities that use our space and different volunteers within those
> communities. We are trying to put together a common approach. Thoughts?
>
> David
> St. Paul, MN

Lisa
lisa at lisasieverts.com