[Organizers] "Stylish Contras" with Lisa Greenleaf

William Loving via Organizers organizers at lists.sharedweight.net
Thu Nov 19 20:14:20 PST 2015

“Stylish Contras” - with Lisa Greenleaf

Last night, at the Downtown Amherst weekly contra dance, we were blessed to have master caller Lisa Greenleaf present her special evening of “Stylish Contras”. The “Stylish Contras” evening is a regular open contra dance with the exception that before each dance in the first half, Lisa does a short teaching session on a particular aspect of contra. This is different from the beginning lesson before the dance and is appropriate for everyone regardless of experience level. Topics include, the swing, allemandes, courtesy turns and twirls, Rory O’More, and, with her wonderful humor, also emphasizes shared responsibility, having a conversation with your partner about what does and doesn’t work, making “I statements”, and consent.

Having Lisa do the a “Stylish Contras” session is like having a “tuneup clinic” for your entire dance community. Beginner and experienced dancers both will benefit from Lisa’s clear and humorous instruction and insights. She addresses directly how to do a swing that is stable, safe, and comfortable for both dancers; how to do an allemande that is connected but easy on the wrists; how to do a courtesy turn (or twirl), again so it safe, fun and comfortable for everyone. When Lisa has done this special presentation in the past in Greenfield, the effect on the entire dance community has been deep and long-lasting. So-called “perpetual beginner” dancers suddenly improve and the overall connectedness, quality and enjoyment of the dancing goes up for everyone. So, next time Lisa is coming to your dance, I'd encourage you to consider having her do this special evening for your community.

Will Loving

Founder & Programming Director
• Downtown Amherst Contra Dance
   http://amherstcontra.org
   https://www.facebook.com/pages/Downtown-Amherst-Contradance/196206887090444
• Greenfield Challenging Contras (4th Fridays)
   https://www.facebook.com/groups/greenfieldchallenge/