[Organizers] What is the main goal of your dance series or organization?

Winston, Alan P. via Organizers organizers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue May 26 14:10:18 PDT 2015

The Bay Area Country Dance Society has the following mission statement:

Promoting, preserving, performing and teaching traditional
English and American music and dance.

(BACDS sponsors multiple English dance and contra dance series, multiple
display dance teams, three summer dance camps, a spring and a fall
residential dance weekend, an urban contra weekend,  two dress-up
English balls, one festive-dress contra evening.)

(An earlier draft had "in the San Francisco Bay Area and beyond" at the
end, but this was deemed superfluous.)

It took a year to get to a fairly anodyne mission statement that the
board was willing to adopt.  Earlier versions included things like
"promoting community through ..."  Part of the point of the restriction
was that we didn't really want to find ourselves sponsoring
international folk dance, Irish sets, or blues dance evenings, so part
of this mission statement exercise (adopted after the organization had
been around 20 years or so) was to identify what we don't do.

I am the (unofficial, since it's an unofficial organization) artistic
director for the Bay Area English Regency Society, which has dance
events themed around historical events and Jane Austen's novels; we have
three balls this year ("Duchess of Richmond's Ball" commemorating
Waterloo, "Congress of Vienna", and "Emma".)   My purpose as dancing
master of the balls and 10 monthly dance parties is to act as a gateway
bringing country dance to new people. which guides me both in
programming (entry level dances or dances I can put across to
entry-level crowds)and in learning more and more over the years how to
put things across to newcomers.

-- Alan