[Organizers] Hard decisions when a caller lacks excellence

Erik Barry Erhardt via Organizers organizers at lists.sharedweight.net
Fri Aug 21 13:19:07 PDT 2015

Thank you all for your feedback on this thread.

I think my recommendation to our board will be to start recording some of
the dances (with their knowledge, of course).  This will help us, both for
feedback for those callers who want this feedback to improve their calling,
and for helping us with having evidence for those callers that aren't
meeting the needs of our dances.  Then we can provide specific areas for
improvement, and if improvement isn't made, then we can have a procedure in
place for taking them "off the rotation".  This will require a little more
work for a reviewer, but probably only in circumstances that require
intervention.

Thanks to everyone.  Specific feedback is below:

Walker, I agree that "banning" is too absolute.

Mac, yes, my situation is for local callers who are part of our community
and whom I don't want to exclude in other ways.  We've also developed
several new talented callers through our New Mexico Callers Collective
(NMCC), so there is less pressure to rely on callers who don't meet our
needs.

Laur, yes, I agree that the challenge is honoring the relationships and
getting consensus.  Also, the opinions of a community shift slowly, so
implementing change takes time.

Jeff, I agree that we shouldn't hire this sort of caller.

David, I like your idea for collecting evidence (through video or audio
recording) that make it clear what is working and what isn't, and that this
can simply apply for everyone.

Lindsay, I agree that feedback strategies are really helpful.  I like the
recordings, they are objective.

Peter, the NMCC has been developing training materials and caller skills
for callers, with evaluation by our local org's board (FolkMADS).  When
we've asked for feedback via online forms, all we get are the most vocal
being brutal, so we've stopped that practice.  If the comments were
representative, it would be different.

Martha, I love Joseph in a Box!

So glad you're all here to help!

Erik

--
Prof. Erik B. Erhardt, UNM Statistics, (505)750-4424  stat.unm.edu/~erike