[Musicians] Danceability of versions of the same tune (Sleepy-Eyed Joe)

Meg Dedolph meg.dedolph at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 16:23:46 PDT 2019

Hi Jim,
I listened to the clips you posted links to, and I think the rhythm in the
accompaniment has a lot to do with what makes the tune "danceable." With
the exception of the solo guitar version, both other versions had that
boom-chuck old-time groove going, with a reliable and easy-to-hear "chuck,"
on the offbeat.
The fiddlers also leaned a little harder on the offbeat, which I think
often makes tunes swing in a way that's better for dancing, regardless of
whether they're old-time tunes or not.
Anyway ... a great tune regardless of how it's played.
Meg in Chicago