[Musicians] Contra medley length?

Sarah Gowan via Musicians musicians at lists.sharedweight.net
Wed Oct 7 19:15:34 PDT 2015

We¹ve done a couple of marathon medleys where there was continuous music
for 3 hours! We did it by having four 3 or 4 person bands playing about 40
minutes each.  We overlapped bands by swapping out one player at a time,
which meant we needed to prearrange a swap tune everyone knows for each
band switch. The last 20 minutes all the musicians piled on stage and
played as a megaband. It was a real hoot! I think your melody players will
have more fun if they can play off book and be comfortable handling
changes on the fly - long medleys are bound to have a few surprises and if
they're glued to a book they have a harder time making adjustments. Also
you have to have a sound crew who is up to the challenge. We are fortunate
to have pretty good equipment and generally cheerful sound people.

Sarah

On 10/7/15, 4:06 PM, "Musicians on behalf of Susan Rachel Lorand via
Musicians" <musicians-bounces at lists.sharedweight.net on behalf of