[Callers] Hand Turns & Safety

Folk Dance ceilidh.caller.bob at gmail.com
Tue May 21 04:11:53 PDT 2019

I agree with John's concerns over gripping in the forearm hold, and the
increased security of the elbow cup - provided dancers are reminded that
thumbs do not belong in the soft, vulnerable inside of elbows!

However, I think the full elbow cup grip gives up a certain freedom of
disengagement and if we tried to use it universally would result in some
awkward transitions - balance the wave to swing through for instance would
be clunky with an elbow cup.  A well taught hooked or flat  hand (properly
vertical and balanced!) hand allemande would be my preference.

I'm not sure I'm clear on the "flat" grip issues - could someone give me a
clear definition of what they consider to be this problematic option?

Bob

On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 10:19 AM John Sweeney via Callers <