[Callers] Opposite StarThru and functional difference in LD v Slide

Andy Shore square.a.shore at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 15:53:43 PDT 2019

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 9:57 AM Tepfer, Seth via Callers <

> Two questions:
>
> 1) We have box the gnat (right hand to right hand), swat the flea (left
> hand to left hand), and star thru (Lark/Gent right hand to Lady/Raven left
> hand). What is the name of the opposite of a star thru (Lark/Gent left
> hand to Lady/Raven right hand)?

MWSD offers one option, probably not a term to use  in a contra setting.

*Arky Star Thru* is a position dependent (rather than dance role dependent
version):

>From Facing Couples.
Beaus do the Boys part, and Belles do the Girls part of a Star Thru.
(Everybody uses the inside hand)
Ends in Facing Couples.
https://www.ceder.net/oldcalls/viewsingle.php?RecordId=155

This is not exactly what you asked for, which is to use the OTHER HAND than
typical of your role, but independent of your position.

*Left Star Thru (edited slightly)*
>From a boy facing a girl: boy holds left hand up and girl places her right
palm against it. boy steps forward and does a quarter left as the girl
passes the boy left shoulders under the raised arms and does a quarter
right. Finishes as a couple.
https://www.ceder.net/oldcalls/viewsingle.php?RecordId=3616

Note that Bob Isaacs uses "Jersey Twirl" for a wrong-side California Twirl
with the Lark going under.

Note that California Twirl (and Jersey Twirl) are 180˚ turns, while Star
Thru and Arky Star Thru are 90˚ turns.

/Andy Shore