[Callers] Opposite StarThru and functional difference in LD v Slide

Greenleaf laleaf at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 10:13:12 PDT 2019

> On Mar 21, 2019, at 12:57 PM, Tepfer, Seth via Callers <callers at lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:
>
> Two questions:
>  What is the name of the opposite of a star thru (Lark/Gent left hand to Lady/Raven right hand)?

Mirror image star thru.  I’m a modern western square dancer, and I chafe when contra callers come up with “new” terminology, or say Star Thru, even though the hands are different.

Depending on the starting position, I will say which hands (inside, for example), and who goes wide (Gents, for example).  then I will say, “Technically this is a Mirror Image Star thru, but I will call it partner twirl.”  Why?  Because we do have a good mix of cross over dancers, and calling it a Star Thru will confuse the MWSDers.

> 2) What is the functional difference between slide left circle left 3/4 and on the left diagonal circle left 3/4?

As a dancer, I prefer L diagonal circle L.  Why? Because it’s easier to finish the swing facing that diagonal than it is to end facing across and  then sliding left, which is a separate move added on before the circle. Just my preference.

Lisa Greenleaf