[Callers] Allemande

JD Erskine island.dance at shaw.ca
Thu Jun 27 20:45:24 PDT 2019

On 2019.06.26 1402, tom hinds via Callers wrote:
> John,
>
> Thanks so much for your hard work and sharing a tremendous amount of information with us.
>
> There’s one allemande I’d like to know more about.  It’s the one used in the the dance, Away to the Camp which can be seen on the Lambertville ECD site.
>
> Tom

Tom,

Reading the link to the directions as published by Thompson I suspected
which form of allemende it might be. If the interpretation as shown in
the video is it, it is.

I can't provide any history about it, however can mention it's described
in Jim Morrison's book, "Twenty-Four Early American Country Dances :
Cotillions and Reels for the Year 1976". Published by CDSS in that year.

It is in a dance from that I enjoy calling and dancing called "Doubtful
Shepherd." In fact it and "Away to the Camp" are remarkably similar for
about 3/5 of either.

 From the glossary of figures in the back is this description,

"allemand: Stand side by side with partner, right shoulders together,
right arm extended, left arm behind back. Cross right arm inside
partner's arm, right hand holding partner's left. Dance clock-wise in
this position, usually once around (8 beats). As with most figures this
is more fun if you look at your partner while dancing it."

There are likely various ways to describe entering the movement. I've
used several with good effect. We have fun with it and after a few
nights with it included on a program (chiefly for that movement, oh and
the music! AABBB and cheery*) dancers seem comfortable with or amused by
it. I believe it's Kalia who calls it the "pretzel" move. <grin>

Seemingly, for the dances Morrison selected, it is danced solely
clockwise. In that video for "Away to the Camp" it's also
reversed/returned/matched by a CCW move. Based on the description for
"Away to the Camp" at VWML I'd not venture to say their interpretation
is correct or not.

Cheers, John

* music may be heard here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czHfhByzvkI
--