[Callers] Double Grand Square

John Sweeney john at modernjive.com
Wed Jul 24 05:36:50 PDT 2019

Hi all,

This post is all about Double Grand Squares.  But just to justify it being
on a contra dance forum, here are a couple of nice Four-Facing-Four contras
that incorporate Grand-Square-like figures, and call them "Double Grand
Squares":

https://grandsquare.dk/alle/index.php?menu=5
<https://grandsquare.dk/alle/index.php?menu=5&id=2045> &id=2045

http://www.grandsquare.dk/alle/index.php?menu=5
<http://www.grandsquare.dk/alle/index.php?menu=5&id=2108> &id=2108

              On with my query:

I've just seen the video of Seth calling a Double Grand Square (thanks Seth
- hope I can try it someday!):

https://www.facebook.com/seth.tepfer/videos/10204536010419503

Looks like the figure was created by Martha Edwards around 2009:

http://www.westendweb.com/doublegrandsquare/

http://dancecaller.blogspot.com/2009/06/more-on-double-grand-square.html

But I found a number of earlier references to "Double Grand Square".  Does
anyone know whether any other versions of a Double Grand Square exist?

Some of these may just be references to two sets doing Grand Square side by
side (maybe interlocked?), or to doing a Grand Square twice.

1955

https://newspaperarchive.com/bakersfield-californian-apr-13-1955-p-36/

"A double grand square, never before presented for a local audience, is
being prepared by B Squares under the direction of Bernice Braddon.
Precision timing is the keynote of the square..."

1959

http://www.folkdance.com/LDArchive/1959October.pdf

Exhibitions

Lariat Swingers

Director:   Ace Smith

Dance - DOUBLE GRAND SQUARE - American

1978

http://doczz.net/doc/577224/american-square-dance-marcy-1978

"Keith does a fine job on his side, but the dancers felt that a double grand
square in the opener, middle break and closer were too many. "

1979

American Square Dance Vol. 34 no. 3 (search for ""double grand square"
dance")

"Bob has used a grand parade in his opener, and a double grand square in his
closer."

Note: "grand square" is italicized, "double" is not. So it might just mean a
Grand Square twice.

2005

http://squaredancehumor.blogspot.com/

"This was one big double square with six side couples and two head couples.
The other and even more difficult thing was I could not use my hands. To me
square dancing is hands. Every since I started it was right hand this and
left hand that. I can't remember anyone mentioning anything about my feet.
Patty was picking everything up just fine while I was slowly starting to get
some if it with many gentle pushes and endless pointing by the other
Stumblers. And of course there was the caller Ivan patient as ever saying,
"George - to the right, the right, the other right . . . very good!" Bill,
an experienced dancer, explained carefully how I was to count my steps,
especially for the double grand square. Eight steps and turn, repeated eight
times, that was the secret for my position."

This one may not be serious! :-)

  Thanks,

            Happy dancing,

                   John