[Callers] Voice coaches

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Tue Jul 16 07:35:02 PDT 2019

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 14:43:56 -0400
Bob via Callers <callers at lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:
> I want to improve my spoken calling voice. Can anyone in the Boston
> area recommend a voice coach? How do I evaluate a coach before
> deciding to work with one?

I hit music stores for their bulletin boards, and took the first voice
teacher who had a schedule compatible with mine. I'm an MWSD caller, so
my needs may be a little different than yours, but I told her I was
interested in the pop side of rock vocals.

I know some folks who hold that musicals and show tunes are a better
target style (assuming your voice teacher doesn't know much about
calling), because of voice legibility, but....

The first... 8 months or so... have been about developing my voice.
Yeah, there's been a little room for style, but mostly it's been tone
and breathing and phrasing and such.

The way I think of it is: Back when my parents made me play an
instrument in grade school, for the first few years did the nuance of
"does this trumpet teacher work more with classical or jazz?" really
matter? Probably not.

Let's be honest: Even when my dancers said I could sing, that's where
my voice was (the bar is low in MWSD...).|

So I think the first step is just finding any teacher with a compatible
schedule. Once you've done a bit you'll know what questions to ask for
you.