[Callers] Contra Corners Dance

Richard Fischer richardallenfischer at verizon.net
Thu Jul 11 07:23:14 PDT 2019

Okay, here's a dance I wrote. This wouldn't be useful for introducing the standard contra corners figure, as I have a modified version of the figure in the dance. But it does show that you can have a contra corners figure where no one is standing around and waiting. I've called it a couple of times and it worked well for mixed experience levels.

 Chorus Reel    Sicilian Circle    Richard Allen Fischer

 Formation: Duple Improper Circle. Ones facing CCW, Twos facing CW. Dance begins with Ones joining near hands while Twos stand normal distance apart.

 A1)  Everyone walks forward, Ones passing between Twos, two steps per pass, passing Neighbors 1 & 2; Swing Neighbor 3. End swing facing across to Partner

 A2)  In current group of four, Ladies dosido, Gents dosido [Use dosidos to adjust spacing.]

 B1)  All turn modified contra corners (in which everyone is moving). Allemande R with Partner 3/4, allemande Same-Sex Neighbor by L 1x, allemande Partner by R 1/2, allemande the other Same-Sex Neighbor by L 1x.

 B2)  All balance and swing Partner. End facing new neighbors in direction of progression, Ones with near hands joined, Twos separating a bit from partner.

 Suggested tune:  Chorus Jig!

I did emphasize that the Gents have to finish their dosido on time, and that everyone has to begin B1 together and dance it in a coordinated way. The dancers made that happen.

Richard Fischer
Princeton, NJ