[Callers] French Four as a triplet

Bob Peterson bob at contracorner.com
Tue Jan 1 13:49:21 PST 2019

While taking today to clean up my dance inventory I took a look at French Four, which goes like this:

French Four
Contra Duple/Improper
Traditional

A1	1s balance, right pull by, cross below 2s, 2s move up
	1s balance, right pull by, cross above 2s, 2s move down
A2	1s Balance & Swing

B1	1s down center, turn as a couple, come back
	2s cast 1s to second place
B2	All right and left through, twice

If the major set is short and dancers tired, this can be done as a triple minor to give the 2s and 3s even more resting out (but pretty dull for the 3s). So then I wondered what it might take to make it a triplet (because I’m collecting my triplets as part of my inventory review) and came up with this variation in B2.

Triplet variation
All dancers proper

A1	(new) 1s balance, right pull by, cross below 2s, 2s move up
	1s balance, right pull by, cross above 2s, 2s move down
A2	1s Balance & Swing

B1	1s down center, turn as a couple, come back
	2s cast 1s to second place
B2	Lines of 3 forward and back
	Lines of 3 forward, on the way back 3s roll 1s to bottom (left to right)

This variation gives the 3s more to do. What do you think? Is it too odd to have same-roles do the roll away with each other?

\Bob Peterson
bob at contracorner.com