[Callers] Building to Contra Corners

Dugan Murphy dugan at duganmurphy.com
Fri Feb 22 09:17:22 PST 2019

Hi, Hannah!

I very much second Alex Deis-Lauby's recommendations.  The difficulty in a
contra corners figure in contra formation is two-fold: the out-of-minor-set
interaction and the short allemandes.  If you can get the dancers to do
short allemandes earlier in the evening and use a dance without interaction
outside the minor set (as in, a triplet or 3-face-3), then you've prepared
them for one point of difficulty and removed the other.

My favorite triplet for contra corners is "Microcasmic Triplet" by Ann
Fallon and my favorite in 3-face-3 formation is "Down by the Riverside" by
Melanie Axel-Lute.  The choreography for both are in others' responses.

If you determined to call contra corners in contra formation, I recommend
"Labor of Love" by Kathy Anderson (choreography here:
http://dancevideos.childgrove.org/contra/contra-modern/196-labor-of-love)
because it uses a box-the-gnat to get actives to trade places before the
contra corners figure, rather than a half-figure-eight, which is much more
difficult for newer dancers.  "Labor of Love" also allows ones and twos to
trade off being active.

Good luck!

Dugan Murphy
Portland, Maine