[Callers] Contra dancing... on ICE!

Quena Crain dancing.quena at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 03:18:39 PDT 2019

This is wonderful, Luke! I like how the danced moved up and down the link!

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 11:21 PM Delia Clark via Callers <

> Oh, that’s a wonderful image! I was thinking it was maybe the caller?
>

> On Apr 17, 2019, at 8:52 PM, Rich Dempsey via Callers <
>
> The extra skater models the obligato of the kids frolic around the hall
> while we dance.
>
> Rich
>
> On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 10:06 PM Bree Kalb via Callers <
>
>> This is terrific. Will you be posting this to any Contra groups on FB? If
>> not, would it be okay if I post to Triangle Country Dancers' page? I think
>> lots of people would enjoys seeing it.
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 1:57 PM Luke Donforth via Callers <
>> callers at lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to share this because I think it's really fun.
>>>
>>> Several months ago, I was approached by the coaches of a Theater on Ice
>>> team about helping put together a program for their 2018-19 Choreographic
>>> Challenge, which was to showcase cultural dance. Burlington's team, "On
>>> Thin Ice" wanted to do a contra dance on ice.
>>>
>>> There were various restrictions; style and historic elements that they
>>> wanted included, coverage of the ring, movement on the ice, etc. What they
>>> generated is not a contra dance, but does showcase several elements of a
>>> contra dance, and they do it on ice.
>>>
>>> You can check out their performance at
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EzYx4XtxSs&lc
>>>
>>> It was a learning experience for me, and a fun exercise in
>>> deconstructing and putting things back together with different constraints.
>>> For instance, they needed percussive elements in the choreography; I'd
>>> originally tried to sell them on petronellas; but they all balked at the
>>> turning over "outside edges" on skates (a harder feat).
>>>
>>> It's the first time I've every had folks dance to recorded calls, but
>>> they wanted them to add to the feeling of a contra (and I won't be
>>> travelling with them to nationals in Alabama this June).
>>>
>>> As a side not, for historical reasons relating to how their program
>>> would be judged, I used the term gypsy instead of my preference of an
>>> alternative. I still think they do a wonderful job of bringing contra dance
>>> to a different corner of the world.
>>>
>>> When I went to my first contra dance, I'd never have guessed where it
>>> would take me. Here's to more fun memories and interesting experiences in
>>> this community and others.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Luke Donforth
>>> Luke.Donforth at gmail.com <Luke.Donev at gmail.com>

> Delia Clark
> PO Box 45
> Taftsville, VT 05073
> Office/mobile: +1-802-457-2075
> deliaclark8 at gmail.com
> www.deliaclarkconfluence.com

*Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come
alive, and then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have
come alive. - Harold Thurman Whitman*