[Callers] Opposite StarThru and functional difference in LD v Slide

Neal Schlein nschlein at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 19:35:58 PDT 2019

1.  It really has to be called mirror star thru (left star thru was the
older term). “Twirl to swap” is worse than wrong in this case because you
are neither twirling nor swapping.  Slide thru is generally the same move,
but differs first because it can be done by two people dancing the same
role, and second because it has a quite different result in such a case.

2.  Totally different moves in floor pattern, flow, base clarity, and
mathematically on the result.

If I am facing across the set and slide sideways one couple then circle
left 3/4 we end facing up and down. Clear.

If I am facing across and circle on the diagonal 3/4 we end facing
diagonally, halfway between up and down and across.   This “clearly” is
wrong, so I have to guess where the real end point is—which in fact
probably is not at 3/4, although that COULD be the right answer, too.  NOT
clear at all.

Which is better depends entirely on what comes before/after, as well as the
style of your music and the dance itself.

Neal Schlein

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 12:55 AM jim saxe via Callers <

> On Mar 24, 2019, at 9:52 PM, I wrote:
> >
> > The term "Left Star Thru" was indeed sometimes used in to refer to a
> varian of Star Thru using the gent's right hand and lady's left.
>
> Ooops.  Of course, I meant to say "... a variant of Star Thru using the
> gent's _left_ hand and lady's _right_.
>
> --Jim

Neal Schlein
Librarian, Eaton Public Library