[Callers] Easy contras for teens

John Sweeney john at modernjive.com
Fri Sep 21 13:09:54 PDT 2018

Hi Don,

              I get confused when Americans use Sashay in a dance.

              Do you mean Sashay as in Roll Away with a Half Sashay – where it just means step to the side?

              Or do you mean Sashay as in the dictionary: “walk in an ostentatious yet casual manner, typically with exaggerated movements of the hips and shoulders”?

              Or do you mean Gallop, where you take your partner in a Ballroom (or Two Hand) Hold and charge across using Side-Together, Side-Together steps?

              I think you mean the last one.  We always say Gallop in the UK.  It avoids a lot of confusion and is much more in keeping with the actual move.

              (Yes, yes, I know Americans have been using Sashay for a long time, and, like Humpty Dumpty, you can pay the words extra at the end of the week to make the words mean anything you want, but Gallop is such a better way of saying it!  I can’t imagine what would happen if I asked a bunch of English teenagers to Sashay across the floor :-) ).

            Happy dancing,

                   John

John Sweeney, Dancer, England   john at modernjive.com 01233 625 362 & 07802 940 574

http://www.modernjive.com for Modern Jive Events & DVDs