[Callers] does this dance already exist?

Nick Cuccia cuccia at mosswood-associates.com
Sat Sep 8 23:48:36 PDT 2018

Could hand technique be contributing to square thrus taking more than
two beats per exchange?  One of my long-past English dance instructors
taught pull-by hands as almost a quick handshake-and-release, where
you're no longer in contact by the time you're shoulder-to-shoulder.  If
the dancers maintain contact for longer than that, one of them is almost
certainly going to have less than a 1/4 turn after the exchange, while
the other will have more than a 1/4 turn.  I've observed this phenomena
even in 16-beat square thrus with balances preceding the first and third
exchanges.

--Nick

[Stuff below Rich's response snipped]