[Callers] Gate vs Hand Cast

Don Veino sharedweight_net at veino.com
Sun Oct 7 22:20:52 PDT 2018

You may have seen my "Feeling Gravity's Pull" which I posted at the end of
the recent Mad Robin teaching thread.

In that dance, there's a move where partners are facing in side by side on
the outside of the set (where the Gents have forward momentum and the
Ladies neutral to backward momentum) and my intent was for them to rotate
around their inside hand connection with the Gents going forward and Ladies
backing up once around. (As opposed to the Gent walks a circle around the
Lady.) So the net effect would be like a courtesy turn, in going around a
central point between the dancers, just a little "wider."

I believe the correct term for this would be "Hand Cast" but I had a dancer
who was adamant about it being a "Gate" in ECD so when I posted the dance
that's the term I used. I've again done some googling and found no ready
reference to a "Hand Cast" in ECD and only the slightest in a contra
context, yet the term sticks in my mind.

What say ye? Is "Hand Cast" a thing and correct in this context?

Thanks,
Don