[Callers] Caller's monitor question

Nick Cuccia cuccia at mosswood-associates.com
Sat May 12 10:20:22 PDT 2018

Jeremy, I don't see anything inherent in the CM-30 that would / should
prove difficult for a sound person to accommodate.

A lot depends on the mixer that this would be connected into.  If the
mixer has 1/4" aux sends (most, but not all, mixer , a 1/4" Male-Male
line-level cable can connect the channel 1 input on the monitor speaker
to the aux send being used for the monitor.  If the mixer has XLR (the
larger 3-prong plugs that you see on mics) aux sends or outputs (the
Behringer XR-18s that have become commonplace in the bay area, for
example), a standard XLR Male-Female cable can provide the connection.
It would then be up to the sound person to send the caller signal to
that aux send, just as they send instrument signals to the stage
monitors for the band monitors.

If you can find out what kind of mixer the sound guy has, I could
probably provide more detail.

When I think of caller monitors, something like a Galaxy HotSpot
(<https://www.galaxyaudio.com/products/PA6BT>) or Mackie SRM150
(<http://mackie.com/products/srm150>) is what I've seen in the wild, and
I have a Galaxy HotSpot as part of my sound kit.  These guys have the
advantage that they can be easily mounted on a mic stand, can be aimed
precisely, as well as controls that you don't have to bend down to
adjust.  In fact, the Galaxy that I have included a special mic stand
that could hold both the monitor and a mic, allowing the monitor to be
positioned in the null of the mic.

--Nick