[Callers] Contralab, gypsylab

Woody Lane woody at woodylane.com
Fri Mar 30 18:58:28 PDT 2018

Hi Tom,

I think non-standardization is just fine. We've lived with it in the
contra world since . . . whenever. I think it's a strength, not a problem.

I brought up the Callerlab concept because some of the issues we are
having today with terminology were analogous issues in the square dance
world in the 50s and 60s. Different details but comparable issues. Their
response was to form a national association where one of its goals was
to standardize things. (It was a different culture back then.) If we are
aware of the similarities and cultural pressures, we can possibly learn
from history, gain understanding of that system and appreciation for
where we are now, and not repeat the same mistakes. I don't want
anything like that response now, but I think we should be aware that it
happened once before in the community dance world.

Woody