[Callers] Politically Correct?

Louise Siddons lesiddons at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 08:33:51 PDT 2018

I agree wholeheartedly with Jen, and appreciate her thoughtful response.

Donald makes the excellent point that history is the source of an ongoing challenge (it’s not the present, and the values of any one historical moment are not the same as those of another) for which language usefully offers a dynamic solution. I enjoy thinking about this aspect of dance history, and I enjoy sharing it with dancers (at appropriate times and in the appropriate quantity, of course). I see no reason not to enjoy this aspect of what we do just as much as we enjoy the vagaries of Sharp vs. Shaw siding, or wagon-wheel versus hands-across stars (which I assume we do, since I can initiate a lengthy conversation about these and other things with very little effort, among most dancers and callers I know!).

Louise.
www.scissortail.org