[Callers] Politically Correct?

Jen Morgan jen.carreg at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 07:16:55 PDT 2018

Hello folks

I'd just like to second what Ron said.  We keep hearing about how
organisers would like to "get Young People in", but then express disdain
for the things we care about, such as avoiding offensive language.

The idea that we should be allowed to say whatever we want when calling as
long as we don't intend any disrespect seems naive at best.  For example, I
might want to say something like "This is so f---ing cool!" when I'm
calling, and intend no disrespect by it.  But I still wouldn't say it,
because some people *would* feel disrespected by my using that language
over the microphone, even if that's not my intention, and I care about
them.  To say that only your intentions matter is to say that you either
don't recognise, or don't care, that other people may have different
feelings about certain words or turns of phrase than you do.  And some
words have a history which cannot be ignored and remains relevant no matter
what your intentions.  (unless you are Humpty-Dumpty)

"Political correctness" is what people call it when they have to treat
others with respect, and they don't want to.  A good trick is to go through
and mentally replace the words "political correctness" with "treating
people with respect".  It helps make it clear what people are really
saying.

I would second Ron's comments about the use of the n-word on this thread.
It's just a word that should never be used by white people, at all, ever,
no matter what the context.  Here's a quick explanation of why
<https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/11/9/16627900/ta-nehisi-coates-n-word>.
(https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/11/9/16627900/ta-nehisi-coates-n-word
)

And as to your actual point Colin, I disagree.  Our inner thoughts and
feelings towards groups of people matter, like you say.  Our outward
behaviour matters.  And our choice of language matters.  Words absolutely
can cause significant pain.  And the fact is that just because a word may
not start off poisoned by racism (or some other form of contempt) doesn't
mean that it can ever become unpoisoned again.  Say a glass of water is
fine to start with and then someone defecates in it.  You can't just scoop
the turd out and call the water clean again.  Sure, changing our choice of
words is treating the symptom not the cause.  But if I was suffering from a
painful illness where the cause couldn't be dealt with straightaway, I
would definitely want the symptoms to be treated in the meantime!

I notice that a lot of people express resentment about being asked to
change their choice of words for others.  If those people find out that
they can get away without making a change, they are positively gleeful, as
though they have won a victory.  Expressing resentment at being asked to
change your choice of words, glee when you can get away without doing so --
there is no surer way to express your contempt for the feelings and
opinions of others.  When you are in the position of being an old white
male, with good standing in the community -- and in this community some
callers are positively revered to the point where many act as though they
can do no wrong -- it must be easy to believe that no one but yourself
matters.  Consider, though, whether this attitude is really good for a
community long term.

Jen

On 28 March 2018 at 07:45, Ron Blechner via Callers <