[Callers] Politically Correct?

Woody Lane woody at woodylane.com
Sun Mar 25 20:03:59 PDT 2018

Historically, a lot has changed. Take the traditional singing square
"Marching Through Georgia." Does anyone really think the original song
is about ambling with friends along a quiet country road near Atlanta?

I have a thin 1989 book "Just One More Dance" by Carole Howard. It lists
scores of filler calls for Western Squares. A very wide range of filler
calls. Some would be great today, but others, well  . . . Some examples:

"Buckskin breeches and calico dress
Let's head out to the cider press."

"Bite his ear and twist his tail,
Swing your honey, and home you sail."

"Grab that girl and kiss her twice,
Hurry up boys, here comes your wife."

"Promenade Rose, Promenade Myrtle,
Promenade the gal with the busted girdle."

"Spank them kids, listen to them squall.
Swing the opposite across the hall."

"Swing your partner and how-dee-do,
If I had a pistol, I'd shoot you."

"Allemande left like a broken hinge,
Grand right and left like a drunk on a binge."

"Good girls walk and bad girls ride,
Come on girls, my car's outside."

Political correctness? Hmmmm. How many of us would call these phrases
today? Times have changed a bit, and so have our cultures and sensitivities.

I agree with Tom -- call the best you can, with respect; appreciate and
respect but don't worry about the words of others. We are artists, not
plumbers.

Woody