[Callers] Programming a Dance

Angela DeCarlis aedecarlis at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 17:23:21 PDT 2018

I almost always program a regular dance the day of. This has gotten a lot
easier since I now keep a digital record of every program I call -- I can
look through and find a program I called for a similar dance, pull out
those cards, and modify and make changes as necessary. I try to also make
notes on programs, like "Second half was great; first half was good except
I had three Gents Allemande Lefts in a row," etc. The ability to recycle
and modify old programs has been a life-saver!

This story isn't practical advice so much as it is A Weird Thing That
Worked for Me Once: Recently I was programming in a hurry for a six hour
advanced dance event. I went through my box and just haphazardly pulled out
everything I was excited to call, then counted to see if I had enough
dances. Once my numbers were good (4-5 dances/hour), I sorted them all into
five columns (Very Smooth - Smoothish - Neutral - Balancey - Very Balancey)
and then sorted the columns vertically by relative difficulty. I had
something like five or six dances in every column, which seemed perfect! So
then I just picked up cards from their spots in a particular order -- like
Easiest Smooth to Easiest Very Balancey to Third-Easiest Neutral, etc --
just to approximate a dynamic program. When I laid out the two programs I'd
made this way and checked them out, they were great! It was kind of magic!

That all said, definitely I almost always need to modify my programs on the
fly. I try not to sweat the details too hard; most dancers won't notice the
little things, and as long as they're having fun, all is well. :)

Angela

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018, 8:01 PM Woody Lane via Callers <