[Callers] More substitute terms for the g-word

Ric Goldman - Letsdance letsdance at rgoldman.org
Tue Mar 13 12:27:06 PDT 2018

Hi Kalia,

I independently came up with using kipsie myself on the way down to calling the Palo Alto contra.  I tried it out with dancers before the dance and during the lesson.  The overall response was negative.  2 comments came back as: "You're just trying to not say gypsy, so it's still offensive".  I ended up using right-shoulder round during the dance and got further feedback during the break and after the dance.  Again, kipsey got a bad response, although that may be because it was new.  I think folks are getting a lot of replacement-term fatigue ("what, now this?").   Right-shoulder round seemed to be the preferred term amongst the dancers themselves - they claim to understand it best.  Still, I'm not giving up quite yet.  😊

(Note, the PA Contra doesn't yet have an official policy banning the g-word.  They leave it up to the caller.)

Thanx, Ric Goldman
Portland, OR

P.S. And NO, Kipsey is not an ethnic slur against people from Poughkeepsie, New York.