[Callers] Programming a Dance

Jonathan Sivier jsivier at illinois.edu
Tue Mar 13 11:14:35 PDT 2018

   I like to have a program of dances selected and laid out for my gigs.
  Of course I know that sometimes the prepared program has to be
departed from, or completely replaced, but I like to at least start from
the point of having a prepared program.

    For a typical contra dance I will spend an hour or so selecting
dances and getting them in order.  This may be a bit longer if I'm
trying any new dances that need to be written up.  Then I always
practice all of the dances, even old familiar ones and especially any
new ones.  I practice both the walk-through and calling to music.  This
usually takes an hour or so as well.  I usually do the preparation a day
or two before the day of the dance.  Extra time, and more advanced
planning, may be needed if I'm coordinating with the band on any of the
dances.

    The process is similar for English dances, but often takes more
time.  It also needs to be done well in advance so that the band can be
informed of the dances.

Jonathan
-----
Jonathan Sivier
Caller of Contra, Square, English and Early American Dances
jsivier AT illinois DOT edu
Dance Page: http://www.sivier.me/dance_leader.html
-----
Q: How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
A: It depends on what dance you call!